My armpits are officially in love.
I’ve been looking for a natural, toxic-free, comfortable, and most importantly, effective deodorant for months now, and I think I can finally say the search is over. A simple recipe that includes only four ingredients, it goes on light, smells good and costs pennies. And as far as I can tell, it WORKS, although it may need to be reapplied sometime during the day. (By “works” I mean smell-free. Sweat? Yes. Smell? No.)
Measurements for the roll-on:
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
3-4 tbsp coconut oil
10-15 drops of essential oil (I used lavender)
Measurements for the 12 oz (350 grams) glass jar:
1 cup baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
12-16 tbsp coconut oil
40 – 50 drops of essential oil
TIPS AND TO DOS:
- Mix baking soda and cornstarch together.
- If the coconut oil is solid, warm until liquified.
- Add in coconut oil and stir until blended. I like the deodorant on the drier side so I only use 3 tbsp per 1/2 cup of dry ingredients (1/4 c CS/1/4 c BS). But you can put up to 5-6 tbsp depending on your preference.
- Add in essential oil of choice. Recommendations: lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint. Personally, I lean toward using more essential oil than not. The coconut oil does tend to overpower the essential oil a bit, so I upped the ante to get more of a lavender punch.
- Once blended together, pour into empty deodorant stick or glass jar. You may need to put it into the fridge to firm it up a bit, depending on how warm it is in your home.
- Get crafty and decorate your new deodorant bottle with your favorite inspiration.