So stoked my raw cacao powder arrived in the post today! Now I can make this chocolate pudding recipe I’ve been eyeing for awhile. But before I tell you what’s in it, I’ll tempt you with a picture. Here’s what my end product looked like …
Would you believe this is made with avocado? Oh yum.
And some cacao powder,
First let’s chat about this cacao (ka-cow) powder, dubbed by many as a SUPERFOOD.
- Cacao powder comes from the cacao bean, originating in the Americas, and is the base for all chocolate and cocoa products
- The beans grow inside a large pod that sprouts from the trunk of a tree called Theobroma Cacao
- Each pod contains anywhere from 30-50 beans which are white in color but darken during the drying process
- To obtain the raw powder, the beans are washed, peeled and cold-pressed to form a paste. After the oil is extracted, the powder is formed.
Raw cacao benefits?
- Contains a rich supply of antioxidants
- Is a good source of magnesium, chromium and iron
- A good source of dietary fiber
- High in Vitamin C
- Roasting the beans diminishes their vitamin/mineral content, which is why cacao in it’s raw form is claimed to be more beneficial
So here’s what you’ll need for the pudding (serves 2):
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Serve with sea salt is you like that sort of thing. Personally I love it.
- Garnish with some berries and/or cream
Just blend everything together and Voila! Chocolate pudding with a healthy twist.
References: David Wolfe, Navitas Naturals, Wikipedia, http://www.WholeLiving.com