I am absolutely becoming obsessed with coconut oil! I’m cooking with it, using it as a lotion on body and face, and now taking a tablespoon or two of it every day to aid in the regeneration and restoration of my beautiful bowels. Amen! The more I learn about it’s health benefits, the more I’m willing to use it liberally.
Whole Self Health, in my opinion, is a pot full of many different ingredients. A bit of food nourishment here, a little inner healing there, a dash of love everywhere, and what have you, and you’ve got yourself a very highly functioning Self. This has been my experience anyways, and that’s the only place I can speak from. We are holistic beings yes? Yes. So sometimes, or all of the time in my case, we need holistic healing.
Which is why I was so excited to meet dynamic Miss Coco Oil. She’s another weapon for my holster. Another shiny tool for my tool belt. And quite a slick one at that! So let’s take a look. The benefits:
- Antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, so anything that might fall into these categories could be helped. Some examples would include: athlete’s foot, eczema, herpes, candida, influenza, AIDS, urinary tract infections, ulcers, diaper rash, hepatitis C, etc.
- Is completely non-toxic without any harmful side-affects (How many pharmaceutical companies can make this claim? Wouldn’t you rather medicate with something like this?)
- Helps to increase metabolic rate, which in turn leads to weight loss – “Back in the 1940s, farmers discovered this effect accidentally when they tried using inexpensive coconut oil to fatten their livestock. It didn’t work! Instead, coconut oil made the animals lean, active and hungry.” ~ Dr. Joseph Mercola
- Supports thyroid function.
- Unlike trans fats, coconut oil does not form any harmful by-products when heated during cooking, so it is a great option when frying.
- Boosts the immune system – “The lauric acid in coconut oil is used by the body to make the same disease fighting fatty acid derivative monolaurin that babies make from the lauric acid they get from their mothers’ milk” ~ Mary Enig
- Increases energy – Nature’s richest source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which means it is very easily digested and immediately burned by your liver for energy without any insulin spike.
- Supports beauty – use as a lotion to alleviate dry skin, prevent wrinkles, eliminate dandruff. Also use it on psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema or any other skin ailment.
- Has been documented to aid in the relief of digestive disorders: irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease, constipation, diarrhea.
And since real life testimonials are sometimes better than research and case studies, you can check out some of those HERE.
And don’t forget these things to remember when purchasing some of this miracle oil sent straight from the heavens:
- The oil will solidify in cold temperatures and become liquid in warm temperatures. This is a good thing, so no worries.
- The oil should always be crystal clear/white. If it’s any shade of yellow, it’s not the real thing.
- Make sure you buy cold pressed (which means destructive heat has not been used to extract it), organic (chemical free) raw/unrefined (least amount of processing) and in a glass jar (the oil will leach chemicals from plastic).
- It should have the aroma of coconuts!
- No need for refrigeration and will stay fresh for up to 2 years!
- GO SLOW if ingesting this as a supplement. You may experience nausea or diarrhea if you take a big heaping tablespoon of it and never have before (this is actually a detoxification affect), so start with maybe a teaspoon/day and increase the amount every week or so.
Three cheers for coconuts!
For those interested, here is one man’s story of how coconut oil helped heal him from Alzheimer’s.